Saturday, February 12, 2011

Private Alfred Hinchco - Huntly memorial


Alfred Hinchco from Huntly was the son of John and Rachel Hinchco he embarked on the 26 June 1916 for France he was 20 years old.  He won a Military Medal in 1917 below is his citation mentioned in the London Gazette:
London Gazette, 17 December 1917, p13201, Rec No 1401: For conspicuous gallantry in the Field, east of St Julien on the 4th October. At the commencement of the attack, when our advancing lines were held up by determined resistance, he rushed his Lewis Gun up, and under intense fire, bought his gun into action. He then, single handed, rushed to close quarters and compelled the surrender of a shell hole strong point, containing a German Officer and 12 other ranks. His action enabled the line to advance, which otherwise was in danger of losing its barrage. Throughout the whole action, he showed splendid skill, and entire disregard of personal safety.

He died from wounds received on the Somme on the 27 March 1918.

For his family this was their 2nd son they had lost Alfred's brother William had died in the Huntly Ralph Mine disaster  in September 1914.

3 comments:

  1. john and rachel never forgot their sons, they told there stories to their surving children who in turn told the tales of the brave hinchco boys who died for their family and country. Alfred hinchco was my great grandfathers brother and my grandfather told me the stories of two proud young men who went to work and never came back!
    great yarns but how truthful they were never really mattered as their names lived on in my family to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alfred was my Nannas (Josephine Agnes Hinchco) Uncle. My father and myself were born in Huntly. I live in Hamilton. William is buried in Huntly cemetery with the others who lost their lives in the Ralph Mine disaster. There is a reunion in September. My parents told me little about my ancestors and I am keen to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole family is in hamilton and are hinchcos. Feel free to get in touch

      Delete