Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Akaroa War Memorial - 10 March 2011



I had forgotten how beautiful Akaroa is and I had picked the perfect day to visit, lucky me!

Akaroa 's memorial has pride of place situated on the main road through the township with the water behind it, you cannot miss it and it is a lovely memorial.  The memorial was unveiled on the 12 March 1924 by Sir Heaton Rhodes the then Minister of Defence and a local of the Banks Peninsula it commemorates 116 men and woman who lost their lives in WW1.  

In the September 2010 Christchurch earthquake it suffered some damage as can be sen on the photograph and there is a fund raising campaign in progress for its restoration.

Akaroa's memorial unlike others around the country, is owned by a community trust, not by the council or the RSA.

With 116 names to research I will be spending some time on the Akaroa memorial I already have some stories to tell which I will try to post today.

No comments:

Post a Comment